I am happy to announce a new milestone update to the Slingshot! plug-in for Grasshopper. The aim of the tool is to combine the power of parametric modeling with relational database management systems. Previously, MySQL was the only RDBMS supported. The new version includes support for ODBC and OLE DB which will allow connections to many different types of databases such as Access, PostgreSQL, SQL server, etc. In addition, I am beginning to build a collection of other helpful (and sometimes fun) workflow tools for accessing web information.
The new version introduces new (yet familiar) database workflows. For those of you who have been putting the MySQL plug-in to good use, you may want to hold off on upgrading until I have some demonstration videos and instructions up.
The older versions of the MySQL plug-in will continue to be available. However, you should not have both installed at the same time (The Slingshot! tab will get messy!)
Here is a list of updates...(not comprehensive)
- Now officially called Slingshot! Database
- Plug-In supports MySQL, ODBC, and OLE DB.
- Reorganized toolbar with new icons and components.
- Query and Command components enable access to different databases.
- SQL string components help users compose SQL code for use with query and command components.
- Web tools provide support for FTP upload/download and HTTP streams.
- Read and write to remote (and closed) Excel files using OLE DB access.
- Twitter Search gives users access to the search API and returns XML into Grasshopper.
- MySQL components now require the MySQL .NET connector 6.4.4